Monday, October 27, 2014

Gay Marriage Legalized

     It has been a while since I've posted on my blog, and in the time I've not posted a lot has happened. One of the things which has been tugging at my mind a lot since its occurrence has been the legalization of gay marriage in Utah (my home state) and many other states in the U.S. The 184th Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was held October 4th-5th of this year (2014), the Monday immediately after the conference, the US Supreme Court made a decision (or rather indecision) effectively allowing states to freely practice same-sex marriages despite opposing votes within the state.
     The Monday morning after conference (October 6, 2014) I was listening to the local news radio (KSL) on my way to work when I heard about the legalization of gay marriage in Utah and other states. I was shocked, I was frustrated. I felt all feelings of love for my country dissipating. I didn't understand how God could let this happen.
     Despite my frustration, I recalled a talk given at the conference the day before. The talk was Loving Others and Living with Differences by Elder Dallin H. Oaks. The talk explained clearly how we, as Latter-day Saints, are to act in regards to the moral issues facing the world today.


Quotes pulled from Loving Others and Living with Differences by Elder Dallin H. Oaks
 

     "Like the Savior, His followers are sometimes confronted by sinful behavior, and today when they hold out for right and wrong as they understand it, they are sometimes called “bigots” or “fanatics.” Many worldly values and practices pose such challenges to Latter-day Saints. Prominent among these today is the strong tide that is legalizing same-sex marriage in many states and provinces in the United States and Canada and many other countries in the world..."
     "In dedicated spaces, like temples, houses of worship, and our own homes, we should teach the truth and the commandments plainly and thoroughly as we understand them from the plan of salvation revealed in the restored gospel. Our right to do so is protected by constitutional guarantees of freedom of speech and religion, as well as by the privacy that is honored even in countries without formal constitutional guarantees..."
     "In public, what religious persons say and do involves other considerations. The free exercise of religion covers most public actions, but it is subject to qualifications necessary to accommodate the beliefs and practices of others. Laws can prohibit behavior that is generally recognized as wrong or unacceptable, like sexual exploitation, violence, or terrorist behavior, even when done by extremists in the name of religion. Less grievous behaviors, even though unacceptable to some believers, may simply need to be endured if legalized by what a Book of Mormon prophet called “the voice of the people” (Mosiah 29:26)..."
     "On the subject of public discourse, we should all follow the gospel teachings to love our neighbor and avoid contention. Followers of Christ should be examples of civility. We should love all people, be good listeners, and show concern for their sincere beliefs. Though we may disagree, we should not be disagreeable. Our stands and communications on controversial topics should not be contentious. We should be wise in explaining and pursuing our positions and in exercising our influence. In doing so, we ask that others not be offended by our sincere religious beliefs and the free exercise of our religion. We encourage all of us to practice the Savior’s Golden Rule: “Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them” (Matthew 7:12)..."
     "When our positions do not prevail, we should accept unfavorable results graciously and practice civility with our adversaries. In any event, we should be persons of goodwill toward all, rejecting persecution of any kind, including persecution based on race, ethnicity, religious belief or nonbelief, and differences in sexual orientation..."
     "As difficult as it is to live in the turmoil surrounding us, our Savior’s command to love one another as He loves us is probably our greatest challenge. I pray that we may understand this and seek to live it in all of our relationships and activities, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

     I realized that gay marriage being legalized is not the end of the world, and that the LDS Church will not fall apart or change its position just because the country's of the world may turn against God's teaching and legalize practices which God deemed sinful. I also realized that, even though I strongly disagree with same-sex marriage, the government is going to do what the voice of the people says, even if it is wrong, but that as a Church, we will continue to follow God's law regardless of laws erected by the government of the people.
     When I got home Monday night, I knelt down a prayed. I prayed more openly than I ever had in the past. I told God everything, all my feelings of doubt, fear, anger, frustration, and I asked him for direction. I asked Him where I was supposed to go now, what I was supposed to fight for, and where my focus should be. I found peace in accepting that the government is going to make their decisions, and I have every right to make mine.
     My new focus is not going to outright oppose the legality of gay marriage (as there is not much, if anything that can be done about that anymore), but instead focusing on keeping my religious freedom, and the religious freedom of the world. As a citizen of the U.S. it is my right, and duty, to defend my religious freedom, and the religious freedom of those around me. Since the legalization of gay marriage, religious rights have been under attack including threats of lawsuit against people refusing to perform marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples due to religious beliefs.
     A song came to mind this week that I feel really applies to the current moral situation of society.
Remain: Royal Tailor
I know you’re feeling weighted down
It’s all on your shoulders
I know the dreams in your head
Don’t look any closer

But I’m gonna make you stronger
Hold on just a little bit longer
‘Cause I’ll be there
When you feel like you’re going under
I’m gonna be there for you
Yeah yeah

The sky could fall
The ground could shake
The stars burn out
And seasons change
The time will pass
And beauty fade
But all my love will remain
All my love will remain
All my love will remain

When there’s a secret to tell
It’s locked and I’ll keep it close
And when you’re walking through fire
I’ll take you to streets of gold
Yeah I’m gonna make you stronger
Hold on just a little bit longer
‘Cause I’ll be there
When you feel like you’re going under
I’m gonna be there for you
Yeah yeah

The sky could fall
The ground could shake
The stars burn out
And seasons change
The time will pass
And beauty fade
But all my love will remain
All my love will remain
All my love will remain

And when the world all around you feels out of place
You can’t seem to find a familiar face
I’m here to remind you my love remains
And you know

The sky could fall
The ground could shake
The stars burn out
And seasons change
The time will pass
And beauty fade
But all my love will remain
All my love will remain
All my love will remain
     No matter what may happen in the world, even if the sky falls, the ground shake, the stars burn out, and seasons change God will always exist, He will always love me and all His children, and He will never forsake His Church. I know that even though the world has views very different to God's law right now, that God's law will not change. Whatever consequences the future holds for myself and people like me, and for my religion, I will stay true to my beliefs. I will stand for what I know what is right, and my opinion and stance will not be shaken. I will love all people even if we have differing opinions, and I will stay close to my Father in Heaven. 


1 comment: